Sunday, June 15, 2014

The beauty of the mundane on a Sunday afternoon.

Blog posts are few and far between just now, what with the end of term being nigh (woop woop!) and me having a temperamental neck... 

And here was I thinking today that I had nothing worth blogging about; but armed with my camera and an hour to spare, and a decision to not think of what else is out there in Blogland just now, I think today is worthy of account.  Because I'm having a lovely day, I really am.  

I'm a very simple soul and lucky to be somebody that appreciates what she has.  My first 20 years were awful, I was in and out of children's homes from the age of 2 to 9, then in foster homes and eventually adopted at 13 to a couple that were unstable and abusive.  Until I met Robbie at 20 I was so very unhappy and unloved.  Then I married, had children, created a home and became the person I am today.  And that person loves her life so very much.  And you know what?  Days like today; the slow, uneventful, mundane days, are my favourites.  

I'm not a religious person at all, I have real issues with believing in something I can't see, feel, or explain.  But I am thankful and I live a grateful life, and I doubt that will ever change as I'd be very disappointed in myself if I became laissez faire and took everything for granted.

Take that hubby of mine.   Omigiddyaunt he has so much to put up with, I am not an easy woman!  But he loves me regardless.  He loves me so much he's spent all afternoon cutting back the monster trees in our garden just so I can get a decent washing line!

 Standing on the next door neighbour's wheely bin...  Health and safety?  What's that?!

 Doesn't it look beautifully green?  If you look directly out this window you see nothing but trees, my neighbours have been invisible for weeks now!

 This was once a baby fuschia...!

My beautiful back garden slowly turning into a jungle...  But a jungle with a washing line by tonight I hope!

And as for my gorgeous girls?  There aren't words for how you feel about your children are there?  All I ever wanted was a family, and my two girls have made me so proud.  Proud of them, but also proud of myself for raising them so well despite having nothing and no one to show me how to do it.  Quite lucky they worked out so well!

This lovely lazy Sunday afternoon?  Youngest under a blanket and Eldest enjoying Starter For Ten for the millionth time!


The exams are over, hooray!!  So now time for relaxing, taking time to catch up with pals, reading, watching films, having a lie in...


Which Robbie, Millie and Belle are very good at...!  This was this morning - the sun was bursting through the trees, the birds were singing, the day was waiting for us, and who missed it?  Not me!

So the chicken's in the oven, the day's closing in, and I've had a wonderful Sunday.  I hope all you lovely ladies in Blogland have had a good one too, and once things are less busy I will pop over and catch up on all my reading (can't wait!).  In the meantime, join me in a glass and forgive me the cropped jeans, but oh how I love them!



Cheers everybody!  Have a great week, and remember, life is so busy, so manic, so let's love, enjoy and revel in the beauty of a mundane Sunday afternoon!

Be back soon!

Wendy x

8 comments:

  1. Wendy, what a thoughtful, honest and uplifting post. I'm so sorry you had such a rough start in life; it is even more credit to you that you have established a a really successful and happy life for yourself. You don't need me to tell you how different it can be for some people raised in similar circumstances to you. You're right to be proud of yourself and your family, and right to take pleasure in a simple life, but a good one. And you look lovely! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous post, thank you for your openness.

    I like the cropped jeans, and your sandals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So good to just hear someone enjoying what they have. Well done on your successful family life. All the more so given you had no good example to follow. Maysie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love a mundane Sunday ... and Monday and Tuesday ... and Wednesday ...... ;0)
    Well done you for creating such a happy life for yourself and especially well done for remembering to appreciate it ... so many people don't.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your childhood sounds very tough but you've done a sterling job of picking yourself up and raising a wonderful and loving family.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a brilliant attitude, you have made my day. I was always made to feel like I would have failed if I got married and had a family (as opposed to a brilliant career) and I have only just come around to realising (not having a brilliant career either) that actually, that is the biggest success of all. Hope I haven't left it too late! So good for you and your lovely brood for doing such a sterling job, and even more, for having the wisdom to appreciate it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you are a wonderful and remarkable woman, to have had such a difficult start and come through so brilliantly shows such strength and character - and I'm with you on easy weekends, I love them x x x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cropped jeans, a glass of wine, the sun is shining, the birds are singing, the children are nestled, the husband is trimming.....la la la...you've got such a beautiful life. You've got me singing. You SHOULD be very proud of yourself. To turn a difficult childhood around is a big feat for a wee girl and you've done it beautifully. Gosh. I just want to give you a big old hug. Thanks for being so honest. It's people like you that make me so happy that I joined the Blogiverse. XXXXOOOO

    ReplyDelete